Talk about Real Estate, Home Decor, and more related topics.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Guest Post: Tim's Take on "Mr. Decor Happy's Den"

Happy Friday Decor Happy friends!

Today is the last blogger design concept for Mr. Decor Happy's Den and I think you will love it! Tim is an accountant by day and a mad decorator by night (and weekends). His home has been featured in all types of media (TV (Steven and Chris), magazines (most notably, Style at Home) and newspaper (the National Post.) So, you can bet that his moodboard will be genius! Take it away Tim!

Hello Decor Happy readers! So great to see you all again and this time, I am here to share with you all my idea of a "Man Cave".  Being the only male in the crowd actually makes me a little nervous of creating a space that is not "man" enough for Mr. DH compared to the amazing rooms designed by all the talented ladies.  So I decided to go with the "What would Chris and I want for our man cave?" approach, destined to strike the right balance between masculine/ practical functionality and soft/ sumptuous sensibility that would impress Vanessa and her significant other.

Here are a few prerequisites for this man cave redesign:

* West Elm daybed

* Special edition paint by Para Paint

* Love of The Beatles  

* A place to watch TV, read a book, or take a nap

This is the mood board I came up with, and I call it: Whimsy Industrial Chic meets Refined Rustic Glam  

Man Cave

Man Cave by designmazetim on polyvore.com

1.  Jumping Off Point: the overall direction of my man cave design came from this whimsical yet exquisite wallpaper from Clarke & Clarke.  I love the hand-drawn, cartoon-like illustration of landmarks from around the world.  The matte charcoal grey and muted gold pencil line detail sets the tone for a cozy media/den/over-night guest retreat.

2.  Textile Collection: it is no surprise to many that I adore pattern plays and love to inject textile interests via pillows, upholstered pieces and area rugs.  Vanessa and I both love the grey and yellow palette (I kid you not, did you see the Decor Happy banner?) and on that note, I have selected stripe, quatrefoil, and a horse print for a sophisticated look, while the zebra and woodland prints will definitely add a sense of youthfulness to the space.

3.  Daybed Companion: the daybed is fantastic but to maximize the square footage of this multi-purpose space, Vanessa definitely needs additional seating and a coffee table to put her feet up to enjoy a movie or two.  To contrast the hard, geometric frame of the window daybed, I opted for the tufted Chelsea ottoman and the Coco high back chair from Sarah Richardson Design to appeal to Vanessa's chic and elegant design aesthetic.  I would love to see the Coco high back chair upholstered in this grey and cream linen geometric print to echo the window daybed.            

4.  Window Treatment: a black out moment maybe in the cards during those movie viewing moments, so why not add another layer of pattern and color at window dressing? Inverted pleat is my pick for an luxe window delight and Dwell Studio has exactly what I need.

5.  Statement Piece: books, TV, and decorative accessories must co-exist in this space, so why not have an aesthetically pleasing bookcase that provides both open and closed storage to max out clutter control?  I know Vanessa will love the traditional details (i.e. molding, panel, and beadboard) and the library ladder definitely had me at hello.  Similar library inspired bookcases will be available at your local HomeSense locations very soon.  

6.  Showstopper: lighting is important in any spaces and this man cave is no exception.  I am absolutely in love with this Modo Chandelier for its industrial and masculine sensibility.  Let's be real, which man would not want a chandelier like this, if a chandelier has to make an appearance in his life?           

7.  Art Work: this is where "Whimsy Industrial Chic meets Refined Rustic Glam" comes to life with a pop art Beatles print and a hand crafted, sculptural deer head.  Talking about icing on the cake!

This is my man cave idea for Vanessa and Mr. DH.  Well, actually I will have this man cave for myself and Chris in a heart beat.  Thanks so much Vanessa for this fabulous opportunity to share my dream media/den/guest getaway with your readers.  Hope you enjoy this room as much as I do!

Thanks Tim! What did I tell you? I am a huge fan of Schumacher's Chenonceau wallpaper and have had a sample of that charcoal colourway forever. Hmmm...And that light? "If I had a million dollars, I would buy me a light, not just any light..." That Sarah chair is a beaute and in that fabric...dying! Thank you so much Tim for taking time out of your busy life to put this together. 

Stay tuned and I will put together my version of the den taking into account all of the lovely concepts which you can read here.  Did you enjoy this series? Did you have a favourite design or product? Let me know! Would love to hear your thoughts.

Have a wonderful (long) weekend (fellow Canadians!)

Powered by Blogger.

© You Where There Too, AllRightsReserved.

Thanks to Shenmal Fashion Club